You will need to register Launch and set up your school to get started with Launch.
You will initially receive an email from the Lightspeed team with your serial number and a link to register.
Go to: https://launch.lightspeedsystems.com/register
Enter the email address that the Lightspeed email was sent to and the serial number contained in your email.
You will now be taken to the Launch Dashboard. From here you can access all of your Lightspeed services.
The Launch Dashboard is not only a useful tool for administrators, but teachers as well. We have created a teacher version of the Dashboard that gives teachers access to classroom extensions of the tools you administrate. We will talk about the teacher tools in a later post.
Setup Your School
From the Launch Dashboard you can access all of our Lightspeed services.
Your first step to accessing our services is setting up your school.
Click on the Admin Tools tile and choose Schools.
There will be one school in the list – and that will be the name of your organization that was given to Lightspeed at the time of account setup. You can either go in and change the details of this school or you can add a new school.
To choose an existing school to edit – just select it from the list. (in our case, we have already created several schools within our demo district.)
Otherwise you can create a new school by clicking the green + circle at the bottom right of the window.
Enter all the requested info including the address fields.
Note: make sure to use proper SIS IDs so they will match your CSV imports. This SIS ID information is needed to match your students and staff from your CSV to the proper school within your District (Organization).
Manually Adding a User, Group, and Membership
We recommend that you do a SIS sync for a full school deployment – but you might find it easier to just create Users, Groups, or Memberships manually within the Launch dashboard if you are only doing a partial deployment. You will learn all about SIS syncs in the next lesson.
Adding Users Manually
From the Launch dashboard, choose Admin Tools -> Users.
Click the green + plus at the bottom right.
Add in all user information and then click the green checkmark.
Manually Adding a Group
From the Launch dashboard click on Admin Tools -> Groups.
Click the green + plus sign on the bottom right to create a new group.
Enter information into the appropriate fields and then click the green checkmark to save.
Manually Adding Users to a Group
From the Launch dashboard click on Admin Tools -> Groups.
Click on the group you want to add members to. This will open a field to the right. On the field, the bottom section will show current group members. To add new members, click the green + plus button to the right of Members.
In the search field type the name of the user you want to add to the group and then choose the appropriate user from the list below. Click Save.
The user has now been added to the group, and you should see the new addition in the Members list.
Learn more about managing users, groups, and schools here.
In this guide, we’ll show you some of the ways you can use your Student Information System (SIS) to update Mobile Manager, Classroom Orchestrator, and the Web Filter automatically, whenever you need to apply changes.
Why Use SIS Integration?
Lightspeed Systems products, including Mobile Manager, Classroom Orchestrator, and the Web Filter, can import data from properly formatted CSV files to create and update users, groups, and devices. The benefits of CSV Imports are:
- User accounts are imported and updated automatically.
- Classroom groups are created and populated with users and devices.
- Class and school transfers for users are updated automatically when SIS data changes. Administrators and Teachers save time by not having to update records in more than one application.
- New term and school year information can be propagated automatically, preserving or recreating user records, groups, and device assignments.
- Devices can be commissioned and decommissioned, associated with asset tags, and assigned to schools, groups, and students.
Other methods include Enhanced SIS Integration (Clever) and SIMS Integration for UK users.
Mapping SIS Data
To import your SIS data, you’ll need to associate the fields in your SIS database with the corresponding fields in the import file and export them in the correct sequence.
Learn more about Mapping SIS Data here.
Lightspeed CSV Imports
Get step-by-step instructions for importing SIS data via CSV files in this comprehensive course.
Once imported, user accounts, groups, and group memberships are all managed from the Admin Tools menu in the Launch Dashboard.
District admins can access SIS imports by navigating to Admin Tools->SIS from your Launch Dashboard.
On the SIS screen, you can:
- a. Select the type of SIS Integration (none, Lightspeed CSV, Clever, SIMS, Google Classroom)
- b. Indicate whether your CSV is located on the Rocket or an external web server.
- c. If external, enter the URL of the CSV.
- d. Click Actions to perform a variety of SIS related actions. In-depth documentation for each action, as well as other SIS functions, can be found below. The following imports require a either a Lightspeed Rocket Web Filter or an external web server where you can create folders and upload files.
Districts without a Lightspeed Rocket web filter or an external web server can manually import users.
SIS Integration can now be set to Google Classroom. This allows you to fully integrate your Google Classroom setup into Lightspeed Systems products, including all your Google Classroom groups and memberships. This will allow customers who already have Google Classroom to save significant time on group and user management and ensure that all data is accurate and in sync across all platforms.
Nightly imports are ran to sync data. Manual imports can also be run by clicking Options > Sync Now from the SIS page. The import will create/rename groups, add users to groups, and remove users from groups. Groups will not be deleted, however. Users added to Google Classroom will be synced to Launch in the next sync. Group owners will automatically be added as such (ex. teachers as owners of classes.)
Note: The Google Classroom SIS sync will not overwrite any previously imported/manually created groups.
Note: API Access needs to be enabled in order for Google sync to work.
Within Google Admin, navigate to Security > API Reference and check the Enable API Access box under API access.
Need Google oauth permissions for Classroom Sync? You can find them here
To set SIS Integration, navigate to Admin Tools > SIS from the Launch dashboard.
Select Google Classroom under Your SIS Integration. Click Save.
Note: If you have previously authenticated with Google, you will need to deauthorize and then reauthorize to add new permissions.
Click on the Actions menu and select Sync Now to perform a manual sync.
Note: These syncs and continutes to sync nightly with Google, making this a one-time process.
Mobile Manager Imports
In Mobile Manager, admins can import CSV files to associate previously-enrolled devices with existing users and groups, add users to groups, bulk rename iOS8+ devices, and other tasks. Learn more.
Enhanced SIS Integration (Clever)
We make it easy to integrate your SIS information with your Lightspeed products — but the process depends on what SIS you’re using and how your information is stored.
Here are some requirements needed to make your Clever SIS integration successful:
- Both student and staff need to have the directory services username identified and located in the SIS (for example, this could be student/staff email addresses, if they match the directory services username).
Note: Usernames are required for Mobile Manager and we will not be able to move forward without them.
- Your course sections need to have well-defined descriptions. These descriptions are used to name your new Mobile Manager group objects.
- You will need to create an administration level view-only account for the SIS import to work.
- You will need to know your SIS external (public-facing) URL or IP address along with your Lightspeed Systems Rocket external IP address.
Learn more about Enhanced SIS Integration here.
SIMS Integration (UK users)
In the United Kingdom, Lightspeed Systems has partnered with Capita SIMS (School Information Management System).
Learn more about SIMS Integration here.
You can troubleshoot SIS integration and imports with SIS Error Logs.
This guide will teach you how to manage users, groups, and schools after you have added them to Launch.
Both school and district administrators may access and edit settings for users, groups, schools, and districts.
You can manage your users by navigating to Admin Tools->Users from the Launch Dashboard.
On the Users screen, you can:
- a. Search for your users in the search field
- b. Results will show below. Clicking on a user name will open their details to the right.
- c. Edit the username by clicking the edit icon
- d. Edit the user information by clicking the edit icon
- e. Clicking the Actions button allows you to disable, delete, or archive/un-archive the user account
- f. Click the plus (+) sign to add the user to a Group
- g. Click the x to the right of a Group to remove the user form a Group.
The following are key parameters for user profiles:
- Email address is not required when user type is student.
- When email address is indicated, it must be unique to this account. Email addresses cannot be shared or used on multiple accounts.
- Add the school name by typing the beginning characters and selecting from the drop-down menu.
- Screen name must be a unique identifier.
- Username should match network login username unless not authenticating against your network directory.
- Password is only required if the user will not be authenticating against your network directory. If that’s the case, be sure to also select No for “Rocket Auth.”
You can manage your groups by navigating to Admin Tools->Groups from the Launch Dashboard.
On the Groups screen you can:
- a. Search for your groups in the search field
- b. Results will show below. Clicking on a group name will open up its details to the right
- c. Edit the group name by clicking the edit icon
- d. Edit the group information by clicking the edit icon
- e. Clicking the Actions button allow you to delete the group
- f. Click the plus (+) icon to add Subgroups to the group
- g. Click the plus (+) icon to add Members (users) to the group
- h. Click the dropdown icon and select Delete Member to delete a user from the group
You can manage your schools by navigating to Admin Tools->Schools from the Launch Dashboard.
On the Schools screen you can:
- a. Search for your schools in the search field
- b. Results will show below. Clicking on a school name will open up its details to the right
- c. Edit the school name by clicking the edit icon
- d. View school Reports by clicking the reports icon
- e. Clicking the Actions button allow you to delete the school
- f. Edit the school information by clicking the edit icon
- g. The Lightspeed Integation section shows how Launch is integrated to Lightspeed Systems. This could be a Lightspeed Integration and a Google Integration (if you’re utilizing the Chrome Bundle.) These settings are determined at the Districts level and passed down to Schools. You have the option to disable filtering for a particular school by clicking None next to Filtering. Please not that this will completely disable all filtering for that school and is not recommended.
You can manage your districts by navigating to Admin Tools->Districts from the Launch Dashboard.
On the Districts screen you can:
- a. Search for your districts in the search field
- b. Results will show below. Clicking on a district name will open up its details to the right
- c. Edit the district name by clicking the edit icon
- d. Edit the school information by clicking the edit icon
- e. The Lightspeed Integation section shows how Launch is integrated to Lightspeed Systems. This could be a Lightspeed Integration and a Google Integration (if you’re utilizing the Chrome Bundle.) These settings are determined at the District level and passed down to Schools. You have the option to disable filtering for a particular school by clicking None next to Filtering. Please not that this will completely disable all filtering for the entire district and is not recommended.
- f. The Google Integration section shows you Google integration (if any.) Click Enable Integration to enable Google Integration (if your district uses it.) Learn more in the Chome Bundle Better and Best courses.
(scrolling down within the District details)