The Default Rules section of Relay controls internet access, search settings, and YouTube search settings. You can use this section to determine which websites your users can access, to enable Google or Bing SafeSearch, and to set various in-depth YouTube settings.
As you learned in the Relay – Getting Started course, setting your Rules is an essential step in initial Relay setup. The access rules prevent unwanted traffic from reaching your network and provide a first layer of protection.
Navigate to Default Rules by clicking Internet Access > Default Rules in the left-side menu.
The General section allows you to set search and filter settings.
Click the toggle buttons to the left of the rule to turn it on or off.
- —indicates the rule is on.
- —indicates the rule is off.
In the General section, you can set the following rules:
- Force SafeSearch – forces all of your users to use Google or Bing’s SafeSearch filter.
- Filter Google image search thumbnails – blocks thumbnails in a Google image search that are from websites in your blocked categories and Custom Block List.
- Restrict image search to images labeled for reuse only – Images labeled for reuse have Creative Commons, GNU Free Documentation licensing, or are items in the public domain. This setting will further restrict inappropriate images from search results.
- Restrict access to Google apps – limits your users’ access to Google apps domains that you have permitted. Add permitted Google apps domains in the Allowed Google apps domains text box. When adding multiple domains, separate them with a comma. Note: This function is only supported in Relay extension versions 2.1.15 and higher.
- Bypass rules on failure – allows traffic to pass through if Relay cannot make an allow or block decision.
- Disable Relay Chrome browser extension on non-Chromebook devices – sets Relay to only filter and report with the Windows or Mac Smart Agent when users are logged into a Chrome browser on a non-Chromebook device.
Note: The Restrict access to Google apps (including the Allowed Google apps domain field) and Bypass rules on failure options are not availble on the After School Rules page.
You can lock General settings for each subsequent group in the Relay hierarchy by clicking on the arrow to the right of the settings and clicking Lock.
The Social Media section allows you to block or allow access to popular social media platforms.
Click on the toggle buttons to the left of the social media platform to allow or block access.
- —indicates the social media platform is allowed.
- —indicates the social media platform is blocked.
You can configure Social Media access even more by enabling these options:
- Lockouts – If Lockouts are Enabled, selecting this option will apply the Lockout rules to users who access the social media platform.
- Overridable – If access to the social media platform is blocked, select this option to allow overrides at the Block Screen.
- Read Only – This option allows users to view content on the social media platform but restricts them from interacting with the content (like posting, sharing, or commenting).
- Lock/Unlock – Choose to Lock or Unlock the category at the organizational, school, or group level. For example, if the social media platform is locked at the top-most level (organization), settings at the sub-levels cannot be changed.
Categories lets you allow or block websites by category instead of having to allow or block each website individually.
Each category has a category name, a toggle button, and a category definition. Click the toggle button to the left of the category to allow or block access to the category.
- —indicates the category is allowed.
- —indicates the category is blocked.
If you are unsure of how a website is categorized, enter the website URL into the Enter a website or youtube video/channel to check… search bar at the top of the page and click Check.
In the following example we searched for www.reddit.com. The results show that Reddit is categorized as Mature.
This means that blocking the Mature category will block Reddit (or that allowing the Mature category will allow Reddit).
To change how a website is categorized:
- Click the edit icon () next to the category to open the Edit Domain Details dialogue box.
- In the Edit Domain Details dialogue box, click the Category drop-down menu and select a new category for the website.
- Click Save.
In the following example, we changed the category for www.reddit.com from mature to forums.blogs.
Relay has the ability to temporarily restrict internet access to users who persistently try to visit blocked websites. Lockouts can be configured based upon the number of times blocked sites are accessed, which action is taken (block internet or send email notification only) and lockout duration. Enter an email address (or addresses) to send a notification when lockouts occur.