Lightspeed Dashboard: SIS Error Logs
Note: If you are unable to export from a SIS, or you are having trouble exporting information to match the required structure, please contact your SIS vendor or administrator.
If your CSV imports are not working as expected, double check they’ve been formatted and imported properly using the information below.
Here’s the fine print again.
- Plain text CSV files
- Encoded as “UTF-8 without BOM”
- Header row in the users-v2.csv output file; no header row in users.csv
- One line per record
- Each field separated by commas
- All fields must be declared, even optional fields you choose not to populate, except the last field. There must be only one comma at the end of each row.
- No commas or numerals in first or last name fields. If necessary, substitute Roman numerals, e.g., John Doe 3rd should be changed to John Doe III, 4th grade should be 4.
- Before importing, you can open the file in a text editor such as Notepad to verify that the correct fields are present and in the correct order.
- File names must be all lower case and named: users.csv or users-v2.csv, groups.csv or groups-v2.csv, and memberships.csv or memberships-v2.csv. Otherwise you will get a “404 not found” error.
Tips from the Lightspeed Pros
Here are tips straight from the Lightspeed Systems Support Team.
- Make sure each school referenced in your files uses a school SIS ID that matches the school’s SIS ID in Launch.
- If uploading to Rocket, make sure all three files are present to avoid an error that Rocket is unreachable.
- Ensure files are in the correct folder on your Rocket or web server.
- Check for correct local permissions: Local Everyone with Read and Read & Write.
- Test by importing a sample file with just a few rows at first, then look at the SIS Error logs (described below) to find and correct any formatting errors in the CSV file.
- Review for common users.csv errors
-grade must be a numerical value, e.g., 4 NOT 4th and NOT fourth.
-column J, Authentication, cannot be left blank
-to edit a user, change one field at a time: SIS ID, username, email. This is where we get email or username “already in use” error a lot.
- Review for common groups.csv and groups-v2.csv errors
-group owner must exist in your users.csv file or already existing in the Launch dashboard
-if using groups.csv, column E is no longer needed for the current product mix but is required to import. Recommendation: use 0 for Public.
- Review for common memberships.csv errors
-school ID must match SIS ID given in School profile under Launch > Admin Tools > Schools.
SIS Error Logs
Once you’ve imported the files, you can check the SIS Error Logs.
- 1. Navigate to https://launch.lightspeedsystems.com and log in as a District administrator.
- 2. Click the Admin Tools tile and select SIS.
- 3. Click the Actions button and select SIS Error Logs.
View Error Logs for District
This will give you an indicator of the overall errors with the import and how many.
View Error Logs for Schools
To view error logs for a specific school within your district, click to open the Schools dropdown list, then select the school to view. The list will be populated automatically if there are error messages associated with the school.
Observe that you can click column headers to sort by column. If part of a column is hidden, you can drag the dividing line in the column header to expand the column. If the report consists of multiple pages, click the < and > buttons in the top right area of the page to go forward and back.
Search Error Logs
You can search the error logs for a specific string, to help you locate errors of a specific type, for example users, groups, or memberships. Type your query in the search box in the top area of the page, and the results will be populated automatically.