Follow these steps to install the Relay Directory Sync tool and add directory objects to the Sync with Relay.
- Download the RelayDirectorySync.msi file: Take note of the file location.
- Open a Command Prompt as an Administrator, by pressing the `Windows Key` + `R`. Next Type `cmd` into the box and then press Ctrl+Shift+Enter.
- Next Change Directories to the location of RelayDirectorySync.msi file
- Run the following command to install the msi msiexec /I RelayDirectorySync.msi
- Navigate to C:\Program Files\Lightspeed Systems\Relay Directory Sync\ and run rds.exe. The Relay Directory Sync tool menu opens.
- Click the Settings button (the Settings window opens).
- Click Test to ensure that the tool is connected to Relay.
- Click Test to ensure that the tool is connected to the AD server and displaying the correct information.
- Click the Directory Objects button (the Directory Objects window opens).
- Click the Add… button (the Directory Search window opens).
- Search for a Group or OU to add to the list of Directry Objects to sync with Relay. Choose Group or OU from the Type drop menu, and enter a full or partial name in the name field. Click Search… to see a list of object results.
- Click on any object name, then click OK to add the Group or OU to the object list and return to the Directory Objects window.
- Click OK again to close the window to return to the Settings window.
- Click OK again to save the tool settings and return to the Relay Directory Sync menu.
After configuring the Relay Directory Sync tool, sync the selected directory objects with Relay. Open the Relay Directory Sync tool and click Sync Now (from the main menu).
The Syncing Directories window opens and displays a status meter while the directories sync.
Note: The sync duration varies depending on the number of groups or directory objects selected. It may take additional time for a larger volume of items to display in Relay.
After the Sync completes, open the Relay Group Switcher, navigate to one of the new AD groups, and verify the group (and it’s users) is available in Relay.
Note: The tool also adds a task to the Task Scheduler Library. This task syncs your AD database with Relay every four hours and automatically downloads updates when available.
Update the Relay Directory Sync tool by opening the tool and clicking Software Update… from the main menu.
The tool checks for software updates and requests confirmation if an update is available. The update will download and update necessary files, as well as create an update log file that may be useful when troubleshooting.
To remove Active Directory objects from your list of Directory Objects to sync in, open the Relay Directory sync tool and click Settings.
Then click Directory Objects in the Settings window.
Select on the name of any Group or OU listed in the Directory Objects menu, then click Remove.
Click OK to return to the Settings menu, then click OK again to apply the new setting.
Refer to this list of file locations when troubleshooting issues with the Relay Directory Sync tool.
- Registry Key– HKLM\SOFTWARE\Lightspeed Systems\Relay Directory Sync
- Install Directory– C:\Program Files\Lightspeed Systems\Relay Directory Sync
- Data Directory– C:\ProgramData\Lightspeed Systems\Relay Directory Sync
If users do not sync, check the log file located in the C:\ProgramData\Lightspeed Systems\Relay Directory Sync\Logs and the file will provide reasons for skipped users.
2018-12-13 00:00:03 [Info] Skipping user CN=Cheryl Lowe,OU=Teacher,DC=District,DC=com having a blank email
Note: The Data Directory includes daily log files that are archived for seven days.