In this guide, we’ll show you some of the ways you can use your Student Information System (SIS) to update Relay, Mobile Manager, and the Web Filter automatically, whenever you need to apply changes.
Why Use SIS Integration?
Lightspeed Systems products, including Mobile Manager, Classroom Orchestrator, and the Web Filter, can import data from properly formatted CSV files to create and update users, groups, and devices. The benefits of CSV Imports are:
- User accounts are imported and updated automatically.
- Classroom groups are created and populated with users and devices.
- Class and school transfers for users are updated automatically when SIS data changes. Administrators and Teachers save time by not having to update records in more than one application.
- New term and school year information can be propagated automatically, preserving or recreating user records, groups, and device assignments.
- Devices can be commissioned and decommissioned, associated with asset tags, and assigned to schools, groups, and students.
Other methods include Enhanced SIS Integration (Clever) and SIMS Integration for UK users.
Mapping SIS Data
To import your SIS data, you’ll need to associate the fields in your SIS database with the corresponding fields in the import file and export them in the correct sequence.
Learn more about Mapping SIS Data here.
Lightspeed CSV Imports
Get step-by-step instructions for importing SIS data via CSV files in this comprehensive course.
Once imported, user accounts, groups, and group memberships are all managed from the Admin Tools menu in the Launch Dashboard.
District admins can access SIS imports by navigating to Admin Tools->SIS from your Launch Dashboard.
On the SIS screen, you can:
- a. Select the type of SIS Integration (none, Lightspeed CSV, Clever, SIMS, Google Classroom)
- b. Indicate whether your CSV is located on the Rocket or an external web server.
- c. If external, enter the URL of the CSV.
- d. Click Actions to perform a variety of SIS related actions. In-depth documentation for each action, as well as other SIS functions, can be found below. The following imports require a either a Lightspeed Rocket Web Filter or an external web server where you can create folders and upload files.
Districts without a Lightspeed Rocket web filter or an external web server can manually import users.
SIS Integration can now be set to Google Classroom. This allows you to fully integrate your Google Classroom setup into Lightspeed Systems products, including all your Google Classroom groups and memberships. This will allow customers who already have Google Classroom to save significant time on group and user management and ensure that all data is accurate and in sync across all platforms.
Nightly imports are run to sync data. Manual imports can also be run by clicking Actions > Sync Now from the SIS page. The import will create/rename groups, add users to groups, and remove users from groups. Groups will not be deleted, however. Users added to Google Classroom will be synced to Launch in the next sync. Group owners will automatically be added as such (ex. teachers as owners of classes.)
Note: The Google Classroom SIS sync will not overwrite any previously imported/manually created groups.
Note: You need to enable API Access for Google sync to work.
In the Google Admin console, navigate to Security > API Reference and check the Enable API Access box under API access.
Need Google oauth permissions for Classroom Sync? You can find them here
To set SIS Integration, navigate to Admin Tools > SIS from the Launch dashboard.
Select Google Classroom under Your SIS Integration. Click Save.
Note: If you have previously authenticated with Google, you will need to deauthorize and then reauthorize to add new permissions.
Click on the Actions menu and select Sync Now to perform a manual sync.
Note: This syncs and continues to sync nightly with Google, making this a one-time process.
Mobile Manager Imports
In Mobile Manager, admins can import CSV files to associate previously-enrolled devices with existing users and groups, add users to groups, bulk rename iOS8+ devices, and other tasks. Learn more.
Enhanced SIS Integration (School Messenger Sync)
School Messenger Passport is our new preferred provider of SIS sync services. School Messenger Passport is a part of the School Messenger suite of school management products. School Messenger Passport is the single sign-on and account provisioning solution built to help school districts manage their users for all of their internal and external systems from a single place.
You can SIS sync your School Messenger Passport to Lightspeed Systems products. This will import and sync all of your district’s schools, classes, students, and teachers with all Lightspeed Systems products!
You can access the School Messenger Passport SIS sync option by navigating to the Launch Dashboard > SIS and selecting School Messenger – Passport under SIS Integration.
Here, you can sync your Groups, Staff, Students, and Term Name with your Lightspeed Systems products.
First, you will need to enter your API ID into the API ID field. Then choose whether you want to Sync Groups, Sync Staff, Sync Students, and/or Use Term Name (option will use the name of your term, if one was assigned) by toggling the corresponding options.
Contact School Messenger Passport to learn more about: Obtaining you API ID
You should also select how you want your Teacher and Student usernames and SIS IDs to be entered into the system. For the Teacher Username and Student Username fields, select whether you want to use their Email or credentials/district_username as the username attribute in Lightspeed Systems products. Similarly, for the Teacher SIS ID and Student SIS ID fields, select whether you want to use the SIS_id, teacher number, or state_id attribute in Lightspeed Systems products. Click Save to save your changes.
Enhanced SIS Integration (Clever)
We make it easy to integrate your SIS information with your Lightspeed products — but the process depends on what SIS you’re using and how your information is stored.
Here are some requirements needed to make your Clever SIS integration successful:
- Both student and staff need to have the directory services username identified and located in the SIS (for example, this could be student/staff email addresses, if they match the directory services username).
Note: Usernames are required for Mobile Manager and we will not be able to move forward without them.
- Your course sections need to have well-defined descriptions. These descriptions are used to name your new Mobile Manager group objects.
- You will need to create an administration level view-only account for the SIS import to work.
- You will need to know your SIS external (public-facing) URL or IP address along with your Lightspeed Systems Rocket external IP address.
Learn more about Enhanced SIS Integration here.
SIMS Integration (UK users)
In the United Kingdom, Lightspeed Systems has partnered with Capita SIMS (School Information Management System).
Learn more about SIMS Integration here.
You can troubleshoot SIS integration and imports with SIS Error Logs.