Before deploying Relay to any devices on your network, ensure that the device(s) is running this version of the operating system:
Ensure that the following ports and domains/hosts are unblocked by your network filter.
Before installing the Windows Smart Agent, ensure that your antivirus software is set to exclude the following locations:
- C:\Program Files\Lightspeed Systems\Smart Agent\lsproxy.exe
- C:\Program Files\Lightspeed Systems\Smart Agent\*
- C:\Program Files\Lightspeed Systems\Smart Agent\PolicyData\*
- C:\Program Files\Lightspeed Systems\Smart Agent\Driver\*
- C:\ProgramData\Lightspeed Systems\Smart Agent\*
If your macOS devices are protected with anti-virus software, ensure that your antivirus software is set to exclude the following locations:
To install a Smart Agent on a Windows machine, follow these steps:
- 1. Obtain your .msi file in one of the following ways:
- a. From Getting Started under Deploy Relay software to devices, click the Windows tab. Then click the appropriate link to the Smart Agent .msi file.
- b. Navigate to Settings > Software in the left-side navigation of Relay and click the Windows tab. Then click the Smart Agent .msi link.
- 2. Working from the target workstation as a Local Administrator, make a local copy of your Smart Agent .msi file accessible.
- 3. From an administrator command prompt, navigate to the folder where your SmartAgentx64.msi file is saved and launch it using this command: msiexec /i [File Name.msi]
Note: If you are using LANDesk to deploy the Windows Smart Agent, add a 5 min delay to the deployment to give the agent enough time to receive it’s policy.
If you are using Sophos AV
, disable the
software’s web filter feature, or else the Smart Agent will not filter the device properly.
To uninstall the Windows Smart Agent:
- 1. Click the Start button.
- 2. Type Control Panel and Click Control Panel
- 3. Under Programs, click Uninstall a Program
- 4. Click Lightspeed Systems Smart Agent and click Uninstall
- 5. Click Yes to confirm removal.
- 6. Click Yes to allow the uninstaller to make changes to your device.
- 7. Enter uninstall when prompted for a password and click Next.
Note: Look for the uninstall password on the Settings > Software > Windows page in the Relay interface.
- 8. Reboot your computer
Tip: Enter the following command manually (or via GPO script) to uninstall the Windows Smart Agent:
msiexec /x SmartAgentx64.msi PASSWORD="Uninstall Password" /qn
Run this script from the same directory where the SmartAgentx64.msi is saved. Also, look for your uninstall password by navigating to the Settings > Software > Windows page. This script reboots the machine.
To install a Smart Agent on a Mac, follow these steps:
- 1. Obtain your .dmg file in one of the following ways:
- a. From Getting Started under Deploy Relay software to devices, click the macOS tab. Then click the SmartAgent.dmg link.
- b. Navigate to Settings > Software using the left-side navigation of Relay and click the macOS tab. Then click the SmartAgent.dmg link.
- 2. Working from the target workstation (as an Administrator), make a local copy of your Smart Agent .dmg file accessible (for future installations).
- 3. Open SmartAgent.dmg and launch the SmartAgent.pkg.
Note: Installing the Smart Agent requires the admin password for the target workstation.
If you are installing the macOS Smart Agent to a machine running macOS 10.14+, add the following URLs to your list of Exclude from Decryption
You can bypass this step by following the instructions in this Apple article
under the How This Affects Enterprise App Distribution
section. Use Team ID ZAGTUU2342
if you elect to boot into Recovery OS and use the spctl kext-consent command approach.
After installing the Relay Smart Agent, enable security and privacy preferences. This step only needs to be done once for every device.
Navigate to System Preferences > Security & Privacy. Click on the lock icon at the bottom left to unlock changes and enter your password. Click the Allow button to authorize software initiation.
You must have the LightspeedUserAgent.dmg file in order to perform an uninstall
- 1. From your Mac workstation, open and mount the Lightspeed Smart Agent .dmg file.
- 2. Run the uninstall file to start the uninstall process.
- 3. When prompted, enter the Admin password to continue the uninstall.
iOS Specific Prerequisites
- Device cannot be running any other iOS filtering software and cannot have a global proxy configured.
- Device must be enrolled in a mobile device manager and owned by the user that you are filtering with Relay.
Note: You do not have to launch the app if you are running iOS 12+, however, iOS 11 users may need to launch the app once (in single-app mode).
You should install the Smart Agent iOS app using Managed Distribution. For more information on Managed Distribution, click here.
Following installation, you need to configure the Web Content Filter settings within your MDM.
Lightspeed Systems Mobile Manager
Follow these instructions to configure the Web Content Filter settings in Lightspeed Systems Mobile Manager.
- Click Policies in the main navigation menu.
If your Relay interface is integrated with Mobile Manager, click Device Management
to open the Mobile Manager policies page.
- Click Web Content Filter in the Policies list.
- In the Web Content Filter policy, set Filter Type to Plug-In and Vendor to Lightspeed (Relay).
If you’re using a third-party MDM, you’ll need to configure the following settings:
||Provided by Customer (ex: Relay – Content Filter)
||email address – must match the email address in Relay/Launch
|Filter WebKit Traffic
|Filter Socket Traffic
||UDID of the device
||Lightspeed Customer ID
Here’s an example of the settings using Apple Configurator as a third-party MDM:
Cisco Meraki MDM
solutions do not support our Relay Smart Agents for iOS. Refer to our FAQ to learn more