Follow the directions below to update iOS devices over Wi-Fi.
Before You Begin
Make sure the following domains are not blocked in your Web Filter:
If either of these domains are blocked users will not be able to update their devices wirelessly.
Typically, the Settings icon on a device will have a red badge if there are iOS updates available. Instruct your users to perform the steps below on their devices when an update is available.
- 1. Tap Settings.
- 2. Scroll down and tap General.
- 3. Tap Update. If there are updates to install one of the following messages will be displayed depending on the current iOS version:
- iOS9+: Download and Install if the update has not been downloaded or Install Now if the update has been downloaded
- 4. Tap Download and Install or Install Now, as appropriate.
- 5. Agree to the prompt to download over Wi-Fi.
- 6. Tap OK to the prompt asking you if your device is connected to a power source.
- 7. Tap Agree to the software terms. The download process will start. Depending on the size of the update and the speed of your network the update can take several minutes.
- 8. When the download is complete tap Install.
Depending on the size of the installation make take several minutes to complete. While the update is installing the device will not be available to use and will turn black with status bars showing the progress of the installation. When the installation is complete the device will restart and will be ready to use.