If you’re interested in putting apps on your students’ devices, you’ll need to use native Mobile Manager at lsmdm.com. Here’s an overview of how it’s done though.
Introduction to Apps
From the left-side menu, navigate to Apps:
From this window, you can install, assign, and remove apps for users. Additionally, you can manage the available self-service apps.
You can select all of the apps by clicking the checkbox next to the App header, or you can click the checkboxes next to each app to select an individual app.
After selecting your apps, the bottom of the window will show a green deploy button. Click the button in order to deploy.
Click on the green Install button in the upper right of the App pane to open the Install Apps pane:
There are three ways to install apps: Managed Licenses, Uploads, and Store
From the Managed Licenses tab you can install and deploy your Apple Managed Distribution and your Windows Business Store Portal apps.
Installing Managed Licenses
From the drop-down menu, select your service from the list. This will show the available apps from that service.
Follow these steps to upload apps to Android and Windows devices.
Please remember that anytime you install an app through Mobile Manager, uploaded or installed, each device on the network will be downloading and installing an app. Large apps can take a lot of bandwidth.
Maximum File Size
The maximum file size for an app is 700MB. Currently, there are no plans to increase this limit. Lightspeed Systems created this limit to prevent large file uploads from possibly bogging down a network to the point where no traffic could be passed.
Before uploading the app, follow these guidelines to download the necessary file:
- Download the app from the Google Play Store to your device.
- Use a third-party app to backup the .apk file. (For example, you can use ES File Manager Explorer.)
- Move the .apk file to your computer.
Uploading Apps to Mobile Manager
- Navigate to the Apps page and ensure that Assigned Apps is selected.
- Click the Install button. This opens the install Apps page:
- Select a device type from the drop-down menu.
- Click Choose File, navigate to and select the local file, then click Upload App.
- Select Assigined Apps or Inherited Apps then click the Install button. This opens the Install Apps page.
- Choose a device type from the drop menu (iOS – iPhone or iOS iPad) and enter the app name or a keyword in the search field. A list of search results displays.
- Select the checkbox next to the name of the app you need to deploy.
- Click the Deploy… button. The Deploy Store Apps window opens.
- Choose one of the follwing options then click Deploy Now.
- App Store– Devices will display an “App Installation” notice that the device user must accept before the installation can proceed.
- Managed Distribution– Select a distribution service from the drop menu.