Mobile Manager allows teachers to manage student devices directly from Launch (Lightspeed Dashboard). From the Mobile Manager page, teachers can:
- View a list of devices currently associated with a group
- View battery levels and status for supported device types
- Add, edit, and delete Policy templates
- Enable and disable device features during class using Policy templates
- Push web shortcuts to devices to quickly send students to a specific website
Read on or take the guided test drive for teachers (requires a staff account with no admin privileges).
What kinds of devices can I manage?
Mobile Manager works for iOS, Mac OS, Android, and Windows devices. Google does not allow third-party MDM for Chromebooks.
How do I enroll devices?
In most cases, devices are enrolled and added to groups by your administrators. If you need to manage a new device, navigate to the group and click the green + button in the bottom right corner of the page.
This action opens a configuration page with instructions for bulk and individual enrollment for each device type (iOS, OSX, Android, and Windows 8.1+).
Perform one of the following:
Bulk Enrollment (Recommended)
For iOS and OS X devices, click the blue bar in the Apple Bulk Enrollment box on the left side of the page. The file install.mobileconfig will be downloaded to your system. Use Apple Configurator to upload this file to each device along with a Wi-Fi profile.
- iOS. Open the URL under iOS and OS X with the web browser on the mobile device you want to register and follow the sign up instructions. (Learn more about iOS enrollment here.)
- OS X: Open the URL under iOS and OS X with the web browser on the Mac you want to register and follow the sign up instructions.
- Android: Enter the code under Android on your device when prompted. (Learn more about Android enrollment here.)
- Windows 8.1+: Use the displayed URL to enroll a Windows 8.1 or Windows 10 device. (Learn more about Windows 8.1 enrollment here.)
Note: Links may require login.
How do I create a Mobile Manager policy?
A Mobile Manager Policy template is a list of permissions for devices that can be enabled or disabled.
- 1. Navigate to the group where you want to create the Policy, then click the green + button at the bottom right corner of the page.
- 2. In the Edit Template dialog box, enter a meaningful name for the Policy, for example: Device Cameras Enabled or Fact/Opinion Commercial Projects.
- 3. Place a check in the box next to the features to be allowed, and select On for each selected feature.*
- 4. Click Save.
*Note: The features supported by each device depend on the manufacturer. The labels below each item identify the device type(s) that can be controlled over-the-air through mobile management software such Mobile Manager. Please consult district administration for questions regarding which device features can be regulated through new Mobile Policies created here.
How do I use App Lock?
App lock policies lock a device to a single application. The app lock policy disables the home button and forces the device to return to the application upon a wake up or reboot.
How do I start managing devices?
Once the Mobile Manager Policy template has been created, deployment is simple:
- 1. Navigate to the group you want to manage, then click the Policies tab.
- 2. Select a time limit for the Policy to activate.
- 3. Click the green play button on the right side of the Policy.
What options do I have for managing individual devices?
Each device in the list has a ‘gear’ icon on the right side of the tile. Click the gear icon to open a menu.
From this menu, you can:
- Get device information – get device name, serial number, OS version, battery level, age of info, etc.
- Update device information – request updated information from a device; the device must be powered on to respond and repopulate the info found in Device Information, which also includes “Last info update” timestamp
- Clear Passcode – if a device has been locked with a passcode, unlock the device and remove the passcode
- Lock the device – log the user out of the device and display the lock screen
How do I remove applications?
The Mobile Manager interface within Launch does not currently support adding or removing applications. To remove apps from a device, you’ll need to log into the Mobile Manager interface directly.
Follow the steps below to log in to your Mobile Manager account:
(Don’t know your password? Contact Support.)
- 1. Navigate to https://lsmdm.com.
- 2. Enter your email and password.
- 3. Click Sign In. The Admin Dashboard, which provides a graphical summary of your organization or group, will be displayed.
Remove any app installed on your managed devices. Navigate to your Apps list and follow these steps to remove an app.
Note: You can only remove an app at the organization or school level (hierarchy). You cannot remove apps at the “group” level.
- Select the checkbox next to the app name (or select the checkbox of the App list to select all.
- Click the Remove drop-menu then click Remove again.
For more information, please refer to the Mobile Manager documentation on the Lightspeed Community website (login may be required).
How do I manage shared / multi-user / cart devices?
If you have shared devices in your classroom, you may be reluctant to give them Internet access since you’re not sure which students are using them. Here are some possible solutions:
- Create a checkout system similar to how books are checked out from the school library.
- Create login and logout web shortcuts on the shared devices. Make sure your students always use the web shortcut login when they receive the device and use the log out web clip before they return the device.
- Set the authentication lifetime. For example, for an hour-long class set the authentication lifetime to 60 minutes.
Can I block features for the whole class or for individual students?
In Launch (Lightspeed Dashboard), device management for teachers occurs at the group level only. To manage individual devices, teachers can log into the Mobile Manager dashboard. The features that can be managed vary by device, and are limited to what the device OS allows.
Why can’t I change some of the settings?
Although Mobile Manager gives teachers lots of control in the classroom, network administrators can still lock features through Mobile Manager policies. Policies created through the Lightspeed Dashboard cannot override locked policy controls. Therefore, the integration can be tweaked to suit school or district needs.
Where can I learn more about using Mobile Manager in the classroom?
Mobile Manager for Teachers – Lightspeed community site
For more detailed information, please refer to the Mobile Manager documentation on the Lightspeed Community website (login may be required).