Use the scroll bar in the left-hand navigation panel to search for and select groups, smart groups, and user-configured groups.
Click the plus sign to create a new group. Click Load More to load more groups.
(In Mobile Manager, Groups are synced through Launch (Lightspeed Dashboard). You don’t need to use Launch or log in through Launch.)
Let’s learn more about Smart Groups and Adding, Editing, and Deleting Groups.
Bookmarking Groups (Admins Only)
Admins can bookmark groups by clicking the bookmark icon in the upper right-hand portion of the screen.
Click the plus sign to bookmark the current page or click the gear icon and then click the X next to a bookmark to delete it.
Smart Groups are…smart. They’re groups based on user types. Every Mobile Manager implementation comes with two pre-configured smart groups: Teachers and Students. With Smart Groups you can configure policies, push apps, and view reports based on these basic user types. Custom Smart Groups can be particularly helpful for creating grade-level policies.
Smart groups are only assigned to users and not devices.
To view the student or teacher Smart Group, click Students or Teachers in the left-hand navigation panel. For your Smart Groups, you can click Policies, Apps, Users, or Reports. However, unlike other types of groups you cannot click Devices or Enroll Devices or Admins.
Here’s a sample teacher Smart Group users page:
Adding and Deleting Smart Groups
See Adding, Editing, and Deleting Groups for information about adding and deleting Smart Groups.
Watch: Overview of Mobile Manager Smart Groups
In order to use App Lock with an app that was deployed using a Smart Group, the app must also be added to any other Group where you would like to use App Lock.
Lightspeed Systems does not allow apps from a Smart Group to be selected for App Lock in non Smart Groups.
The reason for this is that the expectation would be that all users in the group where the lock is configured would get the app lock. However, this may not be the case.
For example, if the app was allowed to lock in the main group, but the app was deployed in the Teachers Smart Group, only users in the Teachers Smart Group would have the app installed on their devices and be able to lock into it.
You can add new groups to your school or sub groups to other groups. Here’s how to add a group:
1. To add a new group to your school, navigate to the school level. If you want to add a sub-group, go to that main group.
2. Click the plus sign (+) in the lower left-hand corner.
3. Enter the name of the new group.
4. Select Group from the dropdown.
5. Click Save to save your changes.
Adding Smart Groups
1. Navigate to the level where you want to add the Smart Group.
2. Click the plus sign (+) in the lower left-hand corner.
3. Enter the name of the new Smart Group.
4. Select Smart Group from the dropdown.
5. Select the grade level (Any Grade Level, Pre-Kindergarten, Kindergarten, and 1st through 12th grade levels) from the first dropdown.
6. Select the user type (Staff & Students, Staff, or Students) from the second dropdown.
7. Click Save.
You cannot edit Smart Groups.
1. To edit a group, use the scroll bar to find and then select the group.
2. Click the edit icon.
The following will be displayed.
3. Edit the group name.
4. From the dropdown list select the group type, which can be department, class, club, or cart.
5. Click save to save your changes or cancel to discard them.
Deleting Groups and Smart Groups
Only groups and Smart Groups created in Mobile Manager can be deleted through Mobile Manager.
1. To delete (permanently remove) a group or Smart Group, use the scroll bar to find and then select the group.
2. Click Delete Group.
3. A confirmation window will be displayed. Enter “DELETE“.
4. Click Delete. The group will be deleted immediately.
The following video briefly demonstrates how to add, edit, and delete a group.
Groups in Launch synchronize automatically with their counterparts in other Lightspeed tools, including Mobile Manager , Classroom Orchestrator, and Web Zones. As an administrator, you can delete unneeded groups with a CSV upload.
Deleting groups removes them from your district permanently and completely.
Note: This file is now picked up and processed nightly.
Step 1: Create the delete_groups.csv file
To delete (permanently remove) groups, create a delete_groups.csv file, with one line per group, in the following format:
||Unique ID in your SIS for each virtual classroom group to create. Must be unique within the entire district
||Name of the group/class
||The Group Owner. Unique SIS ID of the group owner (normally a teacher or other staff level user)
||Each Group is associated with either a school (typical), or a district. Enter the SIS ID for the school or district that is “home” for this group
Caution: Open the file in a text editor or spreadsheet and verify that it only contains groups that should be affected by this operation.
Step 2: Upload the groups.csv file to the Lightspeed Dashboard
- Navigate to https://launch.lightspeedsystems.com and log in as a District administrator.
- Click the Admin Tools tile and select SIS.
- Click the Actions button and select Bulk Delete Groups.
- Click the Browse button to find and select the groups.csv file to upload.
Tip: Test by importing a sample file with just a few rows at first, then look at the SIS Error logs to find and correct any formatting errors in the CSV file.
Note that SIS imports are performed as scheduled tasks, and may take some time to complete, depending on system load. You’ll see a popup notification when the import has finished processing.
Once again, please proceed with caution — these are powerful tools that can cause non-recoverable changes to user accounts and groups.
Changing an app’s assignment will not remove the app from devices that previously had the app assignment. You would still need to remove the App/License from those devices. Here is the recommended order to move apps to a new group:
1. Revoke license(s)
2. Remove app(s)
3. Remove app assignment(s)
4. Add app in new group
Learn more about Apps here.