The first step to importing your student information system (SIS) data is associating the fields in your SIS database with the corresponding fields in the Lightspeed Systems import files–then exporting the data in the correct sequence.
To get started, locate the “custom reports” interface in your SIS. That’s where you can specify the database fields to export. For the exported report file format, you’ll need a CSV with comma-separated values or “Excel” designated. Some SIS applications will let you click to select fields, while others may require you to write an SQL query.
Note: The CSV import file does not necessarily have to be generated by your student information system. You can export data from other applications as long as the export file is in the correct format. You can also create the file manually in a spreadsheet and save it as a CSV file.
Here’s the fine print.
- Plain text CSV files
- Encoded as “UTF-8 without BOM”
- No header row in the output file
- One line per record
- Each field separated by commas
- All fields must be declared, even optional fields you choose not to populate, except the last field. There must be only one comma at the end of each row.
- No commas or numerals in first or last name fields. If necessary, substitute Roman numerals, e.g., John Doe 3rd should be changed to John Doe III.
- Before importing, you can open the file in a text editor such as Notepad to verify that the correct fields are present and in the correct order.
SIS import error logs are accessible for troubleshooting inside Lightspeed Systems products.
Learn more about uploading SIS data via CSV, including the field names to map and how to import, here.